Kalyani Institute of Buddhist Studies
Kalyani Institute of Buddhist Studies (KIBS) is a school for young novice monks where they can study the classical languages and traditional Sri Lankan pirivena curriculum in English medium. KIBS being the only school of its kind in Sri Lanka provides learning and training opportunities -free of charge - for both local and foreign young Buddhist novices.
The present Chief Incumbent of the Kelaniya RajamahaViharaya, Most Ven. Professor Kollupitiye Mahinda Sangharakkhita Mahathera initiated the project of establishing KIBS. Late Most Ven. Ryugen Tanaka and Most Ven. Ryusho Tanaka – abbot nuns of the Ryugen Shoja temple in Hiroshima together with Mrs. Reiko Iwatsubo of Japan encouraged the launch of KIBS both with spirit and financial assistance. Mr. Kamal T. A. Wellabada (the former principal of the Kelani Vidyalaya), Pandit Kirthi Narampanawa and the founder principal Dr. G. S. B. Senanayake a rendered remarkable role at the initial stage of the KIBS.
As at present, there are classes up to G.C.E. A/L teachings subjects approved by the Ministry of Education with special emphasis on Pali, Sanskrit, History and Buddhism in English medium. There are 68 novices from temples of different parts of the island of Sri Lanka learning together with foreign novices from Buddhist countries of Asia.
KIBS has achieved good results in both G.C.E. (O/L) and G.C.E. (A/L) examinations. Apart from the scheduled curriculum studies, Extra curricular activities are organized by the KIBS to enhance the communication and learning skills of its students. KIBS also has its own library and a science lab that needs further development.
Board of Management
- Director : Most Ven. Professor Kollupitiye Mahinda Sangharakkhita Maha thera B.A. (Hons.) (Kelaniya), M.A., Ph.D. ( Delhi)
- Course Director : Kirthi Narampanawa Rakiya Pandita, B.A. (Vidyalankara), M.A. ( Lucknow)
- Principal : A.S. Wijesinghe, Principal Grade I (Retired), Sl.E.A.S.class III special trained (Math.) class I
- Tutorial staff : Ven. Weligepola Seelawansa Thera B.A. (Hons.), M.A. (Kelaniya)
- Ven. Ethkandure Sumanasara Thera B.A. (Hons.), M.A. (Kelaniya)
- Ven. Lenagala Sirinivasa Thera B.A. (Hons.), M.A. (Kelaniya), Ph.D. ( Delhi)
- Mr. K. H. Dharmasena B.A. (Hons.) (Kelaniya) µ
- Mr. S.A.H.S. Perera Sl.E.A.S.class III special trained (Maths.) class I
- Mr. A.D.L.G. Amarasinghe B.A. (Hons.) (Peradeniya)
- Mrs. P.W. Weerasuriya B.A. (Hons.) (Peradeniya)
- Mrs. Shama Liyanage Special Trained Teacher (English)
- Mrs. Poorna ranasinghe Special Trained Teacher (English)
- Mr. Athula Kumara B.A. (Hons.) (Sri Jayawardenapura)
- Mr. K.H. Perera B.A. (Hons.) (Kelaniya)
- Mr. K.A. Lolimbawansa B.A. (Hons.) (Kelaniya)
KIBS aims to strengthen and widen its services to house and facilitate a larger number of students to educate and train them as future scholars and missionaries of Buddhism.
Read the comprehensive history of Kelaniya Raja Maha Viharaya from pre-historic age to present day, Get the latest official updates and Share your knowledge as comments.